Friday, July 26, 2013

New server is UP, BBU, cache and learning about IPMI

The new 2U server is on-line with the drives from the old T300 server (which are only 2 months old).

I'm constantly rsyncing my files from the rented server to the 2U server so that when I'm ready to switch over there will be less to sync.  The thing that takes me the longest, is actually migrating the databases.

I discovered that there is a Battery Backup Unit(BBU) for my 3ware 9550SX raid controller that is optional. This is necessary to keep the writes in cache alive in memory, in case of a power failure. Those writes get written to the disks once the power is restored. Enabling the cache will also increase the performance. I found a new BBU on Ebay for $120 bucks and ordered it. No it's just waiting for it to arrive.

I discovered that to get the KVM operating on the LAN NIC, it required a jumper to be moved. Once I had that done and was able to access it, I discovered that I had a non-KVM IPMI. I didn't even know that "that" existed. I can get into the KVM and monitor just about every sensor, as well as reboot the server, but with no KVM; I can't change BIOS options and such. I found a new IPMI with KVM support for my motherboard on Ebay for 99 bucks. I really can't wait for this one to arrive, because sometime I want to tweak something in the BIOS and just can't get a KVM from my DATACENTER because there is a waiting list.

The server only came with 8 gigs of RAM so I placed another 8 on order. I just can't operate on 8 gigs. It would be the death of me. As it is there is enough traffic on that server to have to swap out to disk with 16gigs, so 24 or 32 gigs is a future goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment