Friday, July 19, 2013

Refurbished Supermicro 2U rackmount server bought from Ebay

I originally had a Dell T300 as out in-house server with four 1tb Sata 7.2k drives in a RAID-5 configuration. It's an ageing box with 3.16ghz XEON processor and not a hell of a lot of space to grow.

I saw this ad on Ebay:
Supermicro 2U 12-Bay 2.6Ghz Quad Core 8GB SATA Server, 3Ware 9550SX-12LP Raid
 

I was able to bid the seller down to 500 bucks, and with free shipping, you can't beat it. The seller even said he would throw in the IPMI for free. With 12 drive slots it has plenty of room to expand. Dual-Quad core XEON processors, rails, I can migrate my registered memory from the old server for a total of 24 gigs of ram.

Once it arrives at my collocation center(scheduled to be deliver on the 23rd of this month), I will be migrating my drives (and any memory that will fit) from the old server to the new unit.

Naturally, I will be installing Debian 6.0.7 Squeeze. Why not Debian 7 you say? Because unfortunately, my control panel of choice, DTC, does not work with Debian 7 yet. I guess one day I will get a new fancy control panel with integrated billing and provisioning, but I've yet to feel the need to have a single point of failure for my entire business. My hostbill is doing fine, and my support ticket system is doing pretty good too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I say; unless you're getting a significant improvement in some area.

No comments:

Post a Comment